How To Get Food and Beverage Product Registration in Singapore?

Nora Setiawan

August 14, 2020


How To Get Food and Beverage Product Registration in Singapore?

Nora Setiawan

August 14, 2020

Have you ever thought about opening up a restaurant or running a cafe or even importing food and beverage products in Singapore? If yes, this article will provide you information about F&B product registration in the country!

Overview of Food and Beverage Product in Singapore

Many individuals in the country have sought their fortunes in the F & B industry as Singaporeans themselves have always had a huge love for food. Singaporeans also love seeking out and dining at new restaurants.

This exciting business has become an inspiration for many entrepreneurs, however the industry can be so challenging. There are also many examples for both successful and failed of F&B businesses. SPRING Singapore study reported that nearly a quarter of all operating F&B businesses are new, while 57% of F&B businesses survive the first 5 years.

Despite all of this, there are still many F&B businesses starting in the country every year. If you plan to start your new F&B business or product, you will want to get the legal formalities properly, quickly, and affordably, so you can focus on your other part of setting up your business.

The Food and Beverage Product Registration License

Not all licenses will apply to all F&B businesses, so it’s a great idea to carefully review your business model and figure out which are the necessary licenses for you. There are a few that are compulsory for all F&B businesses, while others only apply to a specific type of F&B.

Securing these licences may not be a simple task of just applying for them. You might be required to spend additional resources and funds to make sure that you meet the relevant standards.

All food retail establishments must have a Food Shop License issued by the National Environment Agency (NEA) to be sure that they comply with the Code of Practice of Environmental Health (COPEH) and operational requirements for food shops including minimum kitchen size, refuse management, noise and cooking fumes control.

You will need to start on this earlier since the inspectors may require you to make changes to your restaurant or food shop that may need an additional renovation, which means additional time and cost to you.

Obtaining all the licenses and legal formalities, you will need to register your company, then register with the Central Provident Fund (CPF), after that you can secure Food Shop License from NEA, and lastly is to have employees take Basic Food Hygiene Training.

You might be a bit confused about the licenses that you need to get for your F&B business. In this part, here is a guide to help you better understand the different types of license and how much they cost!

The Types of Food and Beverage Product License

Types of food and beverage product license

1. Food Shop License

You have to apply and have a food shop license approved for setting up your F&B establishment. The food shop license is tied to the physical outlet, and any previous license will have to write in to cancel the license before the new application is approved.

Before applying for a food license, the applicant will have to ensure that they satisfy the specifications in a pre-application checklist, which includes documentary, food shop design, and hygiene requirements.

The cost for the license is S$195 and valid for 1 year. You can apply for a license here.

2. WSQ Food Hygiene Course

Food handlers need to apply for this course to get certified for handling food. The WSQ course consists of 6 hours of coursework and 1.5 hours of assessment. A statement of Attainment (SOA) will be awarded to participants upon completion.

Food handlers who were registered and awarded more than 5 years ago can attend a refresher training course. You can attend the course provider that is listed here.

You need to pay S$8 – S$40.50 for the course, and you can apply via the Singapore Food Agency.

3. Liquor License

If you intend to sell liquor or beers, then you will need the Liquor License. There are several classes of the license you can apply for. Under the Customs (Liquors Licensing) Regulations, any sales of intoxicating liquors in Singapore will require a liquor license issued by the Liquors Licensing Board (LLB).

There are 8 classes of licensing available, which determine the hours, where, how, and for what purposes you can supply and distribute the liquor.

The cost is between S$110 to s$880 valid for 1 year, it is depending on the category of license you are applying for. You can click here to apply for this license.

4. MUIS Halal Certification License

There are 3 requirements for your food establishment, before applying for a MUIS Halal Certification license. They are:

  1. Halal Requirements: raw materials used must be Halal and validated with supporting documents.
  2. Staffing Requirements: a minimum of 2 or 3 Muslim staff employed in each premise with a Halal Certification application. For the catering or central kitchen services, it requires a minimum of three staff.
  3. System Requirements: the applicant must comply with 10 principles of the Singapore Muis Halal Quality Management System (HalMQ).

You need to pay S$80.25 to S$1.219.80 for this license. Submit your application on LicenseOne.

5. Import License

An import license is generally required for food traders, but you also need to apply for one, if you are doing any of the following for your F&B business:

  • Importing, exporting, or transshipping meat and fish products.
  • Importing, exporting, or transshipping fresh fruits and vegetables.
  • Importing fresh table eggs.

Different licenses are required too, but it is depending on the type of food you import. The cost that you need to pay is S$84 to S$378 valid for 1 year, depending on the type of food product you are importing. You can go to GoBusiness Licensing website to apply for this license.

In conclusion, before establishing your F&B business, you need to prepare everything and pick the license that fits for your business. Then, you can register for the F&B product license, so you can set up your business smoothly. If you are unsure about something, you can always contact us below. Viettonkin will always be ready to assist you!

Download our Latest Ebook about Real Estate and Property!

Real estate holds a pivotal position in the development of a country, not only via the spillover impacts on other economic sectors such as construction, manufacturing, tourism, finance and banking etc. but also affecting the social dynamic by mobilizing the residency and infrastructure system. Foreign direct investment in real estate (RFDI) in Vietnam has a long running history and is unique in that it is largely dominated by the private sector compared to other industries which usually still have a rather large Government involvement. International capital has consistently been selecting real estate as the destination of choice, given that RDI has always been in the top 2 and 3 for volume inflow over the last 10 years, even throughout extremely turbulent periods such as COVID-19, per the General Statistics Office of Vietnam’s (GSO) data. Find out more in this ebook edition.

Tải cuốn ebook mới nhất về nền kinh tế số Việt Nam!

The digital economy of Vietnam has been fueled and accelerated by the global digital trends and the pandemic Covid-19. The movement of digital transformation is underway in every corner of Vietnamese life, strongly influencing the way people do things. Digital economy is the future of the Vietnam economy. Realizing the potential of the digital economy, the Vietnam government has issued policies, guidelines and created legal frameworks to support and further enhance this economy. In this ebook edition, the digital economy is looked at from different angles. Perspectives from the key elements comprising Vietnam digital economy are examined and discovered.

Our Happy Clients